Sunday, August 29, 2004

Seagull Poo

I just spent the afternoon at the beach over by Cape Canaveral - my first time at an ocean beach in quite some time! I laid out on my little towel, soaked up the sun, enjoyed the ocean breeze, did some reading for class, but most of all, I people-watched. Apparently in Florida, there is no age limit on wearing a bikini. No weight limit, either. And the 80's? Never went out of style. Great stuff, I tell you! I was particularly impressed when two older men in speedos and white t-shirts walked down to the water in front of me and then started stretching. This was entertaining until they did the whole bend-down-and-touch-your-toes thing, which in speedos was not so entertaining. These guys seriously stretched for like half an hour, at which point, sufficiently limbered up, they took off into the water and started swimming. And swimming. And swimming. They disappeared from view about ten minutes later - still swimming. Wow, I think. They really did need all that stretching.

But I digress. A short time later, I am laying on my back, blissfully taking in the sand, surf and sun, when I feel something land on my leg. I immediately do the whole spasm-leg-jerk whereupon I expect whatever nasty insect that has landed on my leg to fly (or, even grosser, crawl) away. Nope. Still there. So I sit up, and much to my dismay, I see a big white gob of seagull poop running down my calf. And that spasm-leg-jerk thing? Yeah, it served only to smear said poo even further down my calf.

After a girly, ew, ew, ew, gross, get IT OFF! moment, I summoned the presence of mind to grab a handful of sand and exfoliate the heck out of my leg. And then I went swimming. For a long time.

I love the beach.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home