Thursday, December 02, 2004

It's December!

And I know it's December, because my mom sent me a little advent calendar and I get to start opening doors - one of my favorite parts of the holiday season. Mom has sent me an advent calendar every year since I left the old homestead, even when I was living in Galway. Mom rocks.

And speaking of Galway, I have been reading the Advertiser online, and I have discovered that some parents in Knocknacarra have started an ABA school! One I get my degree, I could go WORK IN IRELAND. And this time, stay away from Irish men. No, no, not really... But I just had a nice half-hour imagining about working there for a few years. I could have a nice apartment this time, and make new and different friends and buy my clothes at Oasis and River Island instead of Topshop. Heh. And drink excellent pints of Guinness at my neighborhood pub. MMMMMM.... Actually, I am just excited to see that opportunities for autistic kids are growing in Ireland, too. And about the Guinness.

So the cable guy was meant to come "between 8 and 11" this morning to undo the DSL and cable. Needless to say, he didn't show up. And I am enjoying an extra day of TV and internet! I thought I should check out as many channels as possible (I know, pathetic!), so I ended up watching three episodes of Laguna Beach. OK. So I know these kids are from a posh, beachy type place, and that 2004 is not 1995, but I have to say, "WHAT?!" Who lives like this? Who lives like this at 18?! My memories of high school aren't THAT fuzzy, and as I recall, there were no trips to Cabo, no new VW's for graduation, and DEFINITELY not that much freaking time spent on hair and makeup. And yet I watch. And evaluate my mascara supply.

I finally saw The Shipping News, and liked it much more than the book. I just can't get into Annie Proulx. John recommended the book to me while we were out walking once in Cork. I think he thought I'd enjoy it because it was set in Newfoundland, and my people are from sort-of-nearby. At any rate, it (the movie) made me oddly homesick. I think it was because everyone was wearing boots and wool hats. I miss my winter clothes.

Lest I be totally consumed by the evils of television, I am also reading the most excellent I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles. I am in love with all things Elizabethan lately. I wish she had run in the election. Can you imagine? What happened to women leaders like that? What happened to leaders like that?

**I just heard from my dad, and the juice truck arrived in Maine safe and sound. All my things are now piled up in the garage. Excellent.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, it's REAL easy to miss your winter clothes hanging out down south. I want to hear you say that after a week freezing your ass off in New England. Brrr!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home