Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Politics as usual

So, as with everyone else in America, I am actually interested in this primary election. Intenseley interested, actually, to the point where I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of Hillary winning the nomination. It's strange that I've waited for so long to vote for a woman, and now...it's almost as if its too late. Things in this country need to change. Maybe even beyond what Obama can accomplish, but at least its a start.

I just watched Michael Collins...you know, with Liam Neeson and Aidan Quinn and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers when he was like 12 years old? And I never quite caught it before, but at the end, when the footage of the Big Fella's funeral is rolling, the subtutles or whatever say that he was 31 years old when he died. Thirty fucking one years old. And so was deValera and Harry Boland and all of them. They WERE the government. They made the country, they ran the country. They were the status quo. In their THIRTIES. And it started me thinking...since when has it been ok for a rich, old, socially conservative, entrenched in a corrupt political establishment white man to be the figurehead of my country?

I feel as though we've been lulled into a false sense of security. Something has been rotten in the state of Denmark, and we've just gotten used to the smell.

When I lived in DC, I always loved the Jefferson Memorial, even though it was a bitch to get to. What I loved most about it was the engraving around the inside of the rotunda - "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Every form of tyranny...including those so insidious, you don't notice until its too late.

Also? Dunkin Donuts has pissed me off. They have officially become a part of the dumbing of America with their new ad, "We can't pronounce latte, so it must be elitist snobby crap from one of those dirty european countries, drink OUR coffee, it will turn you into a plain english-speakin', all american, cord-fed buffer. It will turn you into Peyton Manning!!"
You can't pronounce latte? Espresso? Look it up in the dictionary! God forbid we learn to speak another language!! God forbid we learn something new! God forbid we learn what DECENT coffee tastes like!

Ugh. Nothing pisses me off more than ignorance unless it be pride in ignorance.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger L said...

Hey. Shayna Grindle. I miss talkin' to you. How are you these days? I've lost your email address. Say hi! My address: lmuscato(at)gmail

xoxo
Lindsay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home