Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The day after

I woke up this morning with the most terrible feeling. It wasn't the suspicion that Bush had won the election - I pretty much figured that last night when I went to bed - no, it was this momentary flash of "wouldn't it be nice?"

"Wouldn't it be nice if the leader of our country were not a joke in most parts of the world? Wouldn't it be nice if he spoke a language other than hick? Wouldn't it be nice if he spoke with any sort of eloquence at all? Wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to spend the next four years worried about what was happening domestically while we continue our wars overseas? Wouldn't it be nice if I had even a little bit of faith in him? Wouldn't it be nice if Kerry were president?"

And the whole time I was thinking this, I KNEW that it was only wishful thinking. That it couldn't happen. I'm not angry today, just really, really sad. I'm glad that my vote counted in Florida, but sad that it didn't count enough. I'm also ashamed and a little frightened of some of the referendums this state just passed. I mean, who ARE these people that vote for this stuff? And they have the majority! The sooner my liberal ass gets back to New England the better.

So now what? Dana says that all was not complete crap in the last four years - he gained a niece and nephew. That made my day, because it is true. Life will go on - I'm allowing myself this one day of moping and sadness and then I'm getting on with it. Besides, I have developed some great coping skills over the past four years. For instance, I have found it advantageous to watch the BBC world news for my information, so as to cut my Bush sightings to the bare minimum. As a bonus, I am surprisingly well informed about what is actually happening beyond the US bubble.

On the other hand, Angela has a great idea about fleeing to Ireland for grad school. As I have been sitting here for the past half our, listening to Altan and craving a Guinness so bad I am actually considering going out and getting a shoddy pint from - wait for it - Paddy O'Brien's (gag), this sounds like a very worthwhile option.

Most of all, I guess I have come to the conclusion that it is time to put on my big girl panties and deal. I mean, didn't I know all along that the Red Sox and a democrat couldn't win in the same year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home