Monday, January 17, 2005

She's All Stove to Hell

So my dad was in an accident last week - an old duffer in a work truck went across the center line and rammed into him pretty much head-on. Fortunately, Dad was wearing his seatbelt and his airbag worked. Also in his favor and among the things to be filed in the 'only in Maine' category? The old guy had a v-shaped plow on the front of his truck which helped deflect the vehicle down the side of dad's van. Dad is ok, but very sore.

I went to the Bangor Mall this weekend - good times. I found nothing of interest, even at the Victoria's Secret sale. By the way...why do they find it necessary to put the table with the A size bras at the VERY FRONT of the store? It's not as if I need all of eastern Maine to know I have no boobs. I dug through the pile quickly and moved on to camisoles and slips.

I have rescued the old treadmill in my parents' basement from a life of boredom and neglect. We share some quality time at about 7:30 every night, and together, we have discovered something truly wonderful. The cable TV we get in Maine broadcasts the CBC. And the CBC broadcasts Coronation Street at 7:30 Monday through Friday. I have no idea what is going on, as the last time I watched the Street was in 1997 in Ireland (I have since converted to Eastenders), but beggars can't be choosers.

Finally, I went to mass this weekend with my mom and grandmother. I still enjoy the funky surfer priest. He actually took the time in his homily to explain the various color schemes in the church throughout the year (purple for Lent, white for Christmas and Easter, red for Pentecost, etc.). This was the first Sunday of Ordinary Time. A couple years ago, we were all in church for Christmas Eve, and the cantor was...not the most musical of people. I don't think the poor guy hit a note the entire mass. At one point, my brother leans over to me and says, "Dude, I know it's church and all, and I'm supposed to be nice, but this guy suuucks. Why didn't they get someone good for tonight and save him for like, the 34th Sunday of Ordinary Time?" Ahhh...religious humor. At least my Catholic peeps will enjoy it...

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger L said...

i went to mass on sunday! i thought of you, when they mentioned that ash wednesday was coming up... i remembered us trying to slip into that church in dc and slip out again. also: it feels way more okay to have ashes on your forehead when someone else in your offie does too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home